Thursday, July 18, 2013

Woven Yellow and Gray

Spoonflower Swatch
This is one of many fabrics I designed and had printed by Spoonflower.

Details
8"x8" swatch
100% silk
crepe de chine
from the Woven series









Crepe de Chine
I have fallen hard for Spoonflower's silk crepe de chine with its beautiful sheen and soft hand. I love the way it loves color. I hope to learn how to post videos so that you can see how beautiful it is in motion. It's hard to convey the hand of a fabric with a still photo.

Woven
This design belongs to a series I've named Woven. It was taken from one of my watercolors . . . a small section that depicts a woven texture -- a checkerboard of vertical and horizontal lines. A close-up of the painting, posted long ago, may be of interest. I find my commentary interesting. Even when that painting was new, I was thinking about making it into wallpaper or fabric! That was before Spoonflower went into business. Spoonflower originally printed fabrics; now they have expanded into into decals and wallpaper!

Color and Texture Edits
I used IrfanView to manipulate the colors. I further edited the colors and textures on the Spoonflower site. Honestly, I changed it so many times, so long ago, that I don't remember exactly how I created this design. I love the fresh yellow and gray combo. I just feel good inside when I look at it. Bright but soft.

6 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

i like the colors too...interesting, we don't see them too much...the combination? but maybe with birds.
and the weave...really like this very much.

Minka said...

Thanks, Grace. The silk really brings out all the subtle color.

Mo Crow said...

I look forward to seeing a video of this cloth and thank you for sharing the spirit of the work in the link to the original painting.

Minka said...

Thank you, Mo.

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

and you wanting to make a video
of it's movement...just love this,
this Love of fabric, wanting to
show us how you love it, oh...

Julie S said...

I too like the way you are dancing from one medium to the other. How does it feel to hold one of your own paintings in silk????? PS Have a blast at QBL, it can be very fun

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails