Sunday, June 24, 2012

Plarn 1

Plarn
After nearly two months of little or no creating, I ran across "Plarn" -- yarn made from plastic shopping bags.

One Thing Led to Another
I experimented with with different bags, with different width strips, with different ways of cutting the bags. I made a tiny bag from grocery bags and was amazed at how soft the fabric is when the strips are narrow.

Next, I cut-up a high quality bag . . . the size that fits over an air conditioner . . . in one continuous strip. Voila! A bowl. This has a very different hand from grocery bags. I like it's stiff but squishy feel. It's fun to work with this stuff. After it's crocheted, it can be stretched a bit. I wonder if it can be ironed between freezer paper to create something else.

The width of my strips varied a lot but it really does not show. The hard part is cutting the transparent bag while trying to not cut the strip you just created. (I did not do that but I came close several times. Certainly, this was not the best pair of scissors for the job.)

Cutting the Bags
Many people cut and join loops but I prefer the feel of the narrower stuff and using a continuous strip. Today, I discovered this alternate method for cutting a continuous strip. It's a longish video and you may be able to figure it out just watching this much shorter video with a very pretty finished product done on a spinning wheel!

Spinning Plarn
It turns out some people spin Plarn. In fact, this video shows you how to spin Plarn on your sewing machine bobbin winder! When I saw what she was doing I started laughing out loud! I'm sure the neighbors wondered what I was up to!

Thinking . . . Too Much?
Sometimes it's just fun to make things. Most of the time, it's fun to make things! Maybe I should stop worrying about:
  • How will I use this bowl?
  • Is this a good use of my time?
  • Is this a good use of materials? 
At the very least, I am grateful that I have very few bags in my home (because I mostly use cloth bags). I do not want to be tempted by one more craft until I finish my (neglected) Dear Jane quilt.

3 comments:

Sheila said...

I must say thank you for leading me to watch the wonderful Navaho videos. I have seen Plarn for a long while, women here used to make hats from Bread bags, I've never actually done it tho. I have always wanted to spin but figure i already have more than enough craft's and hobbies

Caseymini said...

Very cool, Minka! I remember that from the 80s or so. I like your bowl. I have never heard of spinning it before. Good idea. It probably adds to the strength.

Minka said...

Thanks, Sheila and Casey for stopping by and leaving a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails